Much of the talk is usually about the premiership title race but we are going to take a look at the other end of the table to review the odds on the closest relegation battle for many years. Atleast 12 clubs are far from safe with 9th place Sunderland only 6 points ahead of 18th placed Wolves.
Wolves 15/8
Are surely one of the favourites to go down but their results against the big clubs have kept them in the fight. The signing of Jamie O'Hara was a great addition which will see them fight it to the end but their lack of results against the teams around them will be their downfall.
Wigan Athletic 2/5
They have some talented players but I feel they lack the spirit to combat a tough relegation battle. Wigan aren't really a team who can dig deep an if it weren't for the ocassional brilliance from the likes of N'Zogbia an Rodallega they would already be gone.I'm afraid their premiership tenure may be about to come to an end.
West Brom Albion 13/8
They were on a slippery slope but with the Roy Hodgson factor they may just about be able to escape. Having said that Di Matteo was wrongly sacked and should have been given time to finish what he had started. The Di Matteo singings are likely to be the difference if they do stay up.
Birmingham City 13/8
It's a surprise to see Birmingham in the bottom three for so long this season. Their squad has improved an they've been great in the cup but it's come at the cost of their league form. If they don't pick up some wins in the next few games alarm bells could ring even louder but I expect them to do enough.
West Ham United 13/8
They look like a different team to the one which were stuck at the bottom of the league. Hitzlsperger an Demba Ba coming into the team has been the catalyst to their climb out of the bottom three an as long as they can stay clear of an injury epidemic I'd expect the hammers to survive.
Fulham 14/1
They play like a team that is not in trouble and just about seem to keep heads above water. I think there will be more of the same as Mark Hughes side have proven to be difficult to beat an should get enough points at the Cottage to ensure another season in the premiership.
Aston Villa 7/1
Villa are an interesting one as they have enough talent to be pushing for European places but don't seem to be clicking under Gerard Houllier. I expect Villa to stay up, he may not have been worth his pricetag but goals win you games and in Darren Bent they have someone who pretty much guarentees them.
Newcastle United 14/1
It's been a season of ups an downs for Newcastle who must have been worried when their top scorer left leaving Leon Best to take on the goalscoring duties. Rather surprisingly he duly obliged but the goals have dried up which again raises concerns. However I saw enough in their comeback aginst Arsenal to suggest they have enough fight in them to survive and players like Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan will bring the grit and determination required.
Blackpool 6/5
Can the tangerines finish the fairytale with premiership survival? They play with no fear and are capable of grabbing a result both home or away so who knows what other surprises they have in store.
Blackburn Rovers 2/1
Blackburn are now struggling and Steve Kean is by far the most likely manager to next get the sack and that is where it becomes difficult to predict where they will end up. Keep Steve Kean and I think they could be in big trouble but I'd guess that the board will soon lose patience so it will be all down to whoever they pick as their next manager.
Sunderland 66/1
They've had a pretty good season but a dip in form and suddenly they are a couple defeats away from the relegation zone despite being in what would usually be a comfortable 9th spot. I don't see them sliding any further into trouble and if they do they will have enough about them to stay up.
Stoke City 22/1
If anyone is going to slip from mid table I can see it being Stoke however the amount of goals they score from set pieces and the 5 point advantage they already have should be enough. However if you're looking for a longer shot I can see Stoke being the place to put your money.
It's a tough call but I'm going for Wigan, Wolves and Blackpool to face the drop this season but I'd expect a few twists and turns along the way.
The odds are courtesy of Paddy Power on 31/03/2011
0 comments:
Post a Comment